Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Parents' Visit and Thanksgiving

I have sooooo much to be thankful for!

My parents made the 40 hour trip to come and visit us here in Indonesia for two weeks!  Zoe, their first grandchild, was the main attraction.
Zoe meeting her grandparents at the airport

They brought all sorts of presents and treats.  Dad, Daniel, and I played over 100 hands of 3-handed bridge.  Mom helped Zoe learn to roll over (on her 4 month birthday) and do other tricks.  Having my parents here made me feel like the world is not such a big place after all.  My familiar people, my family, were able to intersect with my new life here.

As an early Christmas present my parents paid for the 5 of us (well, Zoe was free) to go on a little vacation to a beautiful island North of here called Karimunjawa.  Daniel already wrote 4 blog posts telling all about our trip: one two three four.  The snorkeling was amazing--It was like seeing the Discovery Channel in real life.  And it was great experiencing it all with my parents and having them help take care of Zoe.

My parents are looking for shells on this beach

We took a small boat out for 2 half days of snorkeling




Dad came up with the idea of feeding fish cashew nuts

On Thanksgiving Day we celebrated at my house here in Salatiga with my parents and with friends (the other MAF families, another friend from language school, and Ibu Santi who works at my house).  What a lot of fun!  The only food item that I missed was cranberry sauce.  We made pumpkin bread/pudding/pies out of a real pumpkin...no canned pumpkin here!


Our 4 MAF families here have 5 babies (4-7 month olds!) and 6 more children (ages 2-6).  Lots of fun!
My parents left on Friday and it was hard to say goodbye.  Sometimes I feel guilty to live so far away with their lovely grandchild...but I know that we are where we are supposed to be.  We all talked on skype already and heard about their trip home.  Zoe stared intently at the computer screen and even "talked" to them a little.



Do you have any suggestions for long-distance grandparents?

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

1 comment: